- This event has passed.
Learn to teach meditation in the tradition of Patanjali, Manchester
September 6 @ 9:00 am - September 8 @ 5:00 pm
Learn to teach natural breath awareness meditation in the tradition of Patanjali.
Patanjali’s seminal work, the Yoga Sutras is now the central text referred to by teachers and aspirants who wish to explore the depths of Yoga and learn how to work with the mind in order to bring deep transformation and peace.
This teacher training course will be of particular interest to yoga teachers and trainees looking to integrate meditation into their teaching, in an authentic, informed and systematic way. Also for meditation practitioners who are inspired to teach within their own profession or community.
Meditation on the natural breath is central to Yoga and Dhamma systems. Referred to by Patanjali as Prana Samyama, its purpose is to bring balance and harmony to the mind. In the long term it has the power to transform mental habit patterns leading to profound happiness and peace. The practice is rooted in the traditions from which contemporary models of mindfulness arise. An awareness of the original philosophical and ethical context is fundamental to a good understanding of meditation practice. Dr Kumar keeps us connected to the source, the lineage and the philosophical principles that are essential to maintain the purity of the original techniques and benefit from them fully. They are not adapted, modified or decontextualized, yet they are secular, systematic and scientific. What is distinctive about this teacher training course is its commitment to present original ancient teachings, in their whole and undiluted practical form for a contemporary audience. Dr Kumar’s guided meditation recordings are at the heart of the training and available to all certified teachers to use in their classes.
Benefits of the technique include
- The release of deep stress
- Mindfulness in the present moment
- Greater concentration and focus
- An increasingly balanced, positive and contented mind
- Increased will power, independence and compassion
- Transformation of unhelpful tendencies of the mind
- Subtler awareness of self and others
Training and Certification
During the course you will
- Gain a deep understanding of the technique in both theory and practice.
- Develop the knowledge of how this technique relates to other meditation practices, and why it is central to Patanjali’s eightfold path.
- Understand the stages of meditation and their systematic development
- Learn the skills to facilitate your students practice and answer their questions
- Be provided with a comprehensive, easy-to-follow handbook covering all aspects of instruction, course notes for students and FAQs
A certificate of competency to teach will be issued to students who already hold a qualification in yoga or a complementary therapy, (for example a 200 hour yoga teacher training qualification) and who complete the post-course assignment. You will have 6 months following the end of the course to complete your assignment.
The assignment will be to make a reflective statement on the subject of natural breath meditation that can be submitted either as a 1000 word essay or a 5 minute video or audio recording. This will be based on the content covered during the training and details will be given at the end of the course. This must be completed within 6 months of the training course.
If you have any questions about the course content and would like to speak with Anna Bhushan before booking, please contact us.
- Three Day Training Course taught by Anna Bhushan. Friday 6th to Sunday 8th September 2019
- Course assignment: The assignment will be to make a reflective statement on the subject of natural breath meditation that can be submitted either as a 1000 word essay or a 5 minute video or audio recording. This will be based on the content covered during the training and details will be given at the end of the course. This must be completed within 6 months of the training course.
- Requisite self-practice component of training: In order to complete the training and certification you are required to attend a Traditional Yoga Awareness Meditation Weekend or a residential retreat within 6 months of the training. We suggest that this is prior to the training where possible. This is so that you have had personal experience of practicing the technique immersively before you begin to teach. Please click here for details of the weekend courses and retreats. The weekend course fee is included in the training course cost, but you are still invited to make the suggested donation.
The course will be taught by Anna Bhushan based on a systematic training program conceived by Dr. Kumar.
Click here to read more about Dr. Kumar.
Anna has practiced in established meditation traditions since her childhood. In 2003 she was introduced to Dr. Kumar and was inspired by the depth and breadth of his knowledge of meditation and his ability to live what he teaches in its entirety. Since then she has been training closely with him and working to bring the benefit of his teaching to people in the UK. Outside of her work as a trustee and teacher for The Yoga Healing Foundation, Anna is a lecturer in Art & Design. Her academic research explores the application of meditation practice into Higher Education contexts, particularly for the purpose of enhancing wellbeing and creativity.
Testimonials from previous training courses
“The Traditional Yoga Meditation Teacher Training course was exactly what I had hoped for, and more. Since the course I feel energised and have gained momentum to continue deepening my own personal practice. I was taught by Anna Bhushan whose knowledge and explanations resonate immense clarity and spark further interest. There was a perfect balance between theory (spiritual, psychological and scientific) and practice with great emphasis on the origins of the Traditional Yoga meditation method as well as different types of meditation practices and the differences between them all. The environment was one of support and non-judgment creating a safe space to learn and practice together. The booklets received titled Understanding Samyama and Teaching Samyama are structured enabling great reference points for when you do go on to teach. I would highly recommend this course.”Jigna Modha
“Highly recommend this course to anyone seeking a deeper understanding of meditation. I have been meditating for several years and have learned so much more from attending this course. The teaching was clear, precise and supportive.”
“I came away from this course with a full understanding of the requirements to teach this method of meditation.”
“It has been a life changing experience. After nearly 16 years of meditation and yoga this was the training that helped me find my way.”
“In enjoy the wholesomeness of learning with such an honourable organisation as The Yoga Healing Foundation”
“Brilliant course materials”
“Anna explained the theory and the practice in a clear and concise way breaking down difficult concepts.”
Testimonial from Vanessa Nelson, a yoga teacher who graduated from the 2016 course and then registered as a Traditional Yoga Meditation Teacher. She is now teaching weekly classes and has had excellent feedback from her students.
“Fantastic course for anyone wishing to teach meditation. The course was wonderfully presented by Anna, an incredibly inspiring teacher, and the supporting teaching materials and recordings we received are invaluable resources for any teacher. The mentoring scheme and ongoing support for all new teachers is very reassuring – to know that no question will go unanswered has given me the confidence to teach and share this life-changing meditation technique with my students. Teaching Prana Samyama is incredibly rewarding, I highly recommend this course!” – Vanessa Nelson
Traditional Yoga and Yogacampus are offering this training course in partnership.
Please book via the Yogacampus website here: www.yogacampus.com
+44 (0) 20 7042 9900 from Monday to Friday 9.30 to 17.30
For enquiries about the course content please contact Traditional Yoga.
We have two half bursaries available to help those on a low income to cover the cost of the course.
Application Deadline: 7th July 2019 (Please note that if the deadline has passed you can still make an application to be added to the waiting list in case of cancellation).
Please contact us to apply