- This event has passed.
Learn to Teach Meditation in the tradition of Patanjali-Oxford
February 8 @ 10:00 am - February 11 @ 5:00 pm
This teacher training course will be of particular interest to yoga teachers and trainees looking to integrate meditation into their teaching, in an authentic, informed and systematic way. Also for meditation practitioners who are inspired to teach within their own profession or community.
Meditation on the natural breath is central to Yoga and Dhamma systems. Referred to by Patanjali as Prana Samyama, its purpose is to bring balance and harmony to the mind. In the long term it has the power to transform mental habit patterns leading to profound happiness and peace. The practice is rooted in the traditions from which contemporary models of mindfulness arise. An awareness of the original philosophical and ethical context is fundamental to a good understanding of meditation practice. Dr Kumar keeps us connected to the source, the lineage and the philosophical principles that are essential to maintain the purity of the original techniques and benefit from them fully. They are not adapted, modified or decontextualized, yet they are secular, systematic and scientific. What is distinctive about this teacher training course is its commitment to present original ancient teachings, in their whole and undiluted practical form for a contemporary audience. Dr Kumar’s guided meditation recordings are at the heart of the training and available to all certified teachers to use in their classes.
Benefits of the technique include
- The release of deep stress
- Mindfulness in the present moment
- Greater concentration and focus
- An increasingly balanced, positive and contented mind
- Increased will power, independence and compassion
- Transformation of unhelpful tendencies of the mind
- Subtler awareness of self and others
Training and Certification
During the course you will
- Gain a deep understanding of the technique in both theory and practice.
- Develop the knowledge of how this technique relates to other meditation practices, and why it is central to Patanjali’s eightfold path.
- Understand the stages of meditation and their systematic development
- Learn the skills to facilitate your students practice and answer their questions
- Be provided with a comprehensive, easy-to-follow handbook covering all aspects of instruction, course notes for students and FAQs
- All graduates of the course will receive a Yoga Campus 36 hour certificate of attendance.
- An additional Traditional Yoga certificate of competency will be issued to students who already hold a qualification in yoga or a complementary therapy, for example a 200 hour yoga teacher training qualification. This certificate will qualify you to teach observation of the natural breath meditation, as per the guidelines of the training course. In order to qualify for this certification you will be required to complete a short assignment within six weeks of completing the training. The assignment will be 1000 words written or up to 10 minutes audio recording, and will be to introduce one of the topics covered during the course.
If you have any questions about the course content and would like to speak with Anna Bhushan before booking, please contact us.
- Four Day Training Course -24 hours total taught by Anna Bhushan. Thursday 8th to Sunday 11th February 2018.
- Course assignment: The assignment will be to make a reflective statement on the subject of natural breath meditation that can be submitted either as a 1000 word essay or a 5 minute video or audio recording. This will be based on the content covered during the training and details will be goven at the end of the course. This must be completed within 6 months of the training course.
- Requisite self-practice component of training: In order to complete the training and certification you are required to attend a Traditional Yoga Awareness Meditation Weekend or a residential retreat within 6 months of the training. We suggest that this is prior to the training where possible. This is so that you have had personal experience of practicing the technique immersively before you begin to teach. Please click here for details of the weekend courses and retreats. The weekend course fee is included in the training course cost, but you are still invited to make the suggested donation.
All graduates will have the opportunity to become a registered Traditional Yoga meditation teacher:
- Have ongoing access to teaching support and advice. Each new registered teacher will be assigned an experienced teacher as a mentor to go to for guidance and will have the opportunity to attend top up training events
- Be part of a UK network of Traditional Yoga Meditation Teachers.
- Supplement your income with meditation teaching, while making a difference to people’s lives by sharing the benefits of this profound technique.
- Be listed on the Traditional Yoga website as a recommended teacher and have help with the promotion of your classes, from poster templates to web listing and newsletter features.
- Be given an exclusive set of guided meditation recordings by Dr Kumar to use in your classes.
Course Fee: £400
Early Bird Price until 31st December 2017: £320
We have partial bursaries available for those on a low-income. Please contact us if you would like to apply. The application deadline has been extended to 31st January 2018.
Booking your place
Please contact us at email@example.com to book your place and we will supply the charities bank details.
Free parking is a 7-8 minute walk away in the Ridgefield Road area Google Map.
The nearest bus stop is Manzil Way
Depending on your budget here are three suggestions of accommodation, all within walking distance of the course venue.
Two half-bursaries are available. Please contact us if you would like to apply. The application deadline has been extended to 31st January 2018.
The course will be taught by Anna Bhushan based on a systematic training program conceived by Dr Kumar.
Click here to read more about Dr Kumar.
Anna has taught meditation to over 300 people and has run meditation teacher training courses for the last four years. Anna has practiced in established meditation traditions since her childhood. In 2003 she was introduced to Dr Kumar and was inspired by the depth and breadth of his knowledge of meditation and his ability to live what he teaches in its entirety. Since then she has been training closely with him and working to bring the benefit of his teaching to people in the UK. Outside of her work as a trustee of The Yoga Healing Foundation, Anna is a lecturer in Art & Design. Her academic research explores the application of meditation practice into Higher Education contexts, particularly for the purpose of enhancing wellbeing and creativity.
Testimonials from the training courses in 2017
“Highly recommend this course to anyone seeking a deeper understanding of meditation. I have been meditating for several years and have learned so much more from attending this course. The teaching was clear, precise and supportive.”
“I came away from this course with a full understanding of the requirements to teach this method of meditation.”
“It has been a life changing experience. After nearly 16 years of meditation and yoga this was the training that helped me find my way.”
“In enjoy the wholesomeness of learning with such an honourable organisation as The Yoga Healing Foundation”
“Brilliant course materials”
“Anna explained the theory and the practice in a clear and concise way breaking down difficult concepts.”
Testimonial from Vanessa Nelson, a yoga teacher who graduated from the 2016 course and then registered as a Traditional Yoga Meditation Teacher. She is now teaching weekly classes and has had excellent feedback from her students.
“Fantastic course for anyone wishing to teach meditation. The course was wonderfully presented by Anna, an incredibly inspiring teacher, and the supporting teaching materials and recordings we received are invaluable resources for any teacher. The mentoring scheme and ongoing support for all new teachers is very reassuring – to know that no question will go unanswered has given me the confidence to teach and share this life-changing meditation technique with my students. Teaching Prana Samyama is incredibly rewarding, I highly recommend this course!” – Vanessa Nelson